Skilled Migrant Category
New Zealand is one of the ideal places to work and raise your family – it has the perfect work-life balance along with one of the best education and healthcare systems in the world. If you have the experience, qualifications and skills New Zealand is looking for, Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa may well be your best option to migrate to this land of opportunity.
Request a call back from our immigration experts
The Skilled Migrant Visa NZ offers is an excellent opportunity for you to migrate to New Zealand and be part of the diverse community – people here are welcoming and peace- loving. Immigration New Zealand (INZ) also allows you to add your partner and dependent children, aged below 24 years, to your Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa application.
Check the qualification requirements and the visa process to know more – we are here to help and answer any queries related to the New Zealand Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa. Contact us for an absolutely free consultation to get answers to your visa questions.
What is the process to get the Skilled Migrant Visa NZ offers?
The New Zealand Skilled Migrant Category Visa works on a points-based system. The more points you have, the better your chances of qualifying for this work visa category. You score points for items such as your qualifications, work experience, age and employment offer for a job that needs special skills.
Apart from the standard INZ qualification criteria applied across visa categories (like good character/health, English language requirements, and more), you must be aged less than 55 years for the Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa.
Here are the steps you need to follow to obtain a Work Visa under the Skilled Migrant Category:
- Calculate your points
- Approach INZ with your EOI (Expression of Interest)
- INZ may send you an ITA (Invitation to Apply) for you to progress to the next stage – you must score at least 160 points to move forward
- After you get the ITA, file your formal Skilled Migrant Visa application
You will receive the approved Skilled Migrant Visa NZ provides once INZ finds everything in order as per the terms of this resident work visa.
How do you score Skilled Migrant Category points?
You accumulate different Skilled Migrant Category points for:
- Your age
- An offer of employment for a skilled job – additional points if the work falls under a skills-shortage area
- Work outside Auckland
- Pay rate exceeding the high wage threshold
- Recognised qualification
- Qualification gained by studying full-time in New Zealand
- Work experience in a skilled area
- Years of experience working in New Zealand
- Your partner’s English language skills, recognized qualification and job offer or existing work in a specialised work area in the country
Note that this is not the complete list – an immigration expert can help ensure that you do not leave money on the table. Immigration Advisers NZ has been working with this visa category for a long time and knows how to find the “not so obvious” Skilled Migrant Category points to maximize your score. Contact us now to book a free consultation session – at absolutely no cost to you.
Does INZ impose any conditions on the Skilled Migrant Visa NZ provides?
Yes, INZ imposes the following conditions on your approved Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa:
- If your employment is in Auckland, you must continue in the skilled work position for more than 3 months
- If you are employed outside Auckland, you must stay working in the specialized job for more than 12 months
- Irrespective of where you work, you cannot be offered a salary less than determined by the points attached to your skilled work
- Prove the above within 5 years of your stay in New Zealand
Your unrestricted travel in/out of New Zealand will be allowed for 2 years – after this, you must get a New Zealand Permanent Resident (PR) Visa or obtain a variation of conditions to continue travelling.
You may land in serious immigration trouble if you breach the conditions of your Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa – including deportation or getting banned from coming to New Zealand ever again. We have licensed immigration advisers at our Auckland office, so you can walk in if you need any kind of immigration assistance. Start by booking your completely free consultation session.
What time and money investments are needed for the Skilled Migrant Resident Visa?
The time taken for processing of Skilled Migrant Category Visa by the INZ can be broken into two parts – the EOI selection happens every 2 weeks and the ITAs are issued to the selected applicants within 3 weeks after that. Once you receive the ITA, you have 4 months to submit a formal New Zealand Skilled Migrant Resident Visa application – INZ typically processes these applications within 15 months.
This visa category requires meticulous evidence gathering and document presentations, the lack of which can lead to delays in visa approval or result in outright rejection.
Our immigration experts are well-experienced in navigating all kinds of complicated situations that may arise during your Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa journey. We make sure you get your visa quickly without burning a hole in your pocket.